Server Hosting at VM Hosting
Penn State's VM Hosting service provides cost-effective, reliable Virtual Machines (VM) for departments, colleges, and research units at Penn State University. VM Hosting is responsible for the virtual hosting environment while those using the hosted service are responsible for the setup, security, and maintenance of the operating systems and applications installed on hosted virtual servers.
Key features of the service include: a self-service portal, fault-tolerant hardware, integration with the Data Center Firewall service, and IPv6 support. Whether you need to create one VM or one hundred of them, VM Hosting quickly provides users with the needed infrastructure, and allows users to focus on teaching, research, and business more effectively, efficiently, and enjoyably.
- This is an active service
- VM Hosting services are open to persons who have a valid Penn State Access Account ID and password and who can provide a budget and a cost center for billing purposes
- A valid Penn State Access ID and password
- A Penn State email address to request support
- Web browser for managing the virtual machine infrastructure using the VMware vSphere Web Client and accessing the portal
- The VMware vSphere Client (if you are a Microsoft Windows user and would like to use this as a browser alternative)
- A budget and a cost center
- Servers hosted at VM Hosting can meet many different security levels, depending on the implementation
- Researchers should foreground security in all research planning, and should consult with the Office of Information Security by e-mail when in doubt