Information Classification Decision Tool
The Penn State Office of Information Security offers an Information Classification Tool to help users determine the security level of the data in their care and how to protect that information depending on its classification level. To use the tool, users only need to visit the aforementioned website, and search for the type of information that they possess into the search bar; the tool will narrow down results based on the search criteria.
For those types of data that may not be included in the classification tool, OIS also provides a quick reference guide for each of the four levels of information classification:
University Policy AD95 also outlines the different information classification types and the security controls that users are required to utilize for each of them.
To get started, simply visit the Information Classification Tool website and follow the direction prompts.
This service is part of the Security and Privacy category.
- This is an active service
- Any current faculty, staff, student, or affiliate of Penn State with access to Penn State Data
- Security protocols for each level of data varies; the Information Classification Tool and Policy AD95 outline the security measures needed to protect each type of data
- There is no cost to users for utilizing this service
- If the information in your possession is not covered by the classification tool, or for additional support, contact the Office of Information Security directly by e-mail